Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Iconic Denim Jean Designer Gloria Vanderbilt Dies at 95

 I was sad to hear the passing of Gloria Vanderbilt yesterday, she was one of my favorite fashion jean designers from my teens . My mom bought me my first pair of GV designer jeans at Pizazz (Pzazz) junior shop at Fredrick and Nelson, gosh I loved the pockets. I must have worn those jeans until they were all torn to shreds...( sad to say ripped jeans were not the rage in the early 80s) The vintage 1980s GV's from my teens sold for $60.00 back in the day, but now they are worth much more. There even is a bold seller that has a dead stock pair for $400.00.Wow! What do you think? Too pricey? With the passing of Gloria Vanderbilt all her jeans are going to be harder to find, everyone will want them again. Time is repeating itself.

I found this photo of Debbie Harry and her commercial from 70s, doesn't she look beautiful. " GV jeans by Murjani" 1979. ( Sorry, the owner has disabled it, but you can click the link and see it on his channel.) I guess he owns the rights to this video. Anyhow you can see another commercial right below it, this one I found on Archive.org., a free sharing site. See her jeans in action, gosh now I want a pair again.
 
Looking through older photos I found this photo of Gloria and Salvador Dali back in 1941 taken at his Surrealist Ball.  She was a stunning lady. There's was so much more to her then just creating her famous denim jeans. Google her and see what I'm talking about. Her story is amazing and be sure to check out her biography by Anderson Cooper from 2016 , who happens to be her son.
                                         
                                                                            RIP Gloria.




 Please watch this link from  You Tube, it's so good.

No comments: